Sunday, July 19, 2009

mail-in-rebates....



I've started doing some MIRs to get some freebies.  This is something I've avoided in the past because they are a bit of a PITA and you often have to mail in your original store receipt which makes me nervous for some reason, but I'm getting over it.
Anyway, Friday, I got a free Seattle's Best coffee...we needed decaf on hand and I found this rebate form, so I thought it's worth a stamp, right?  
 

Then today, I was looking for a cheap filler to get to $20 at CVS so I could use my 4/20 coupon and still make it a moneymaker and roll all my expiring ECBs....and instead I found these:

(don't those items looks so all-natural with my lovely plant background?  unintentional, i promise!)
So, my transaction looks like this:
-2 filler paper packs @ 2.00 (get 2.00 each in ECBs)
-1 CVS pantiliner @ 0.89 (get 0.89 back in ECBs)
-2 packs papermate pens @ 0.99 (get 0.99 each in ECBs)
-2 memo books @ 0.99 (get 0.99 each in ECBs)
-2 one inch binders @ 2.49 (get 5.00 ECBs due to manual entry--these were 3.00 each in the ad, my store had a substitution item)
-1 organix pomegranite and something else shampoo @ 6.99
-1 True North nut medley snack bag @3.49

Total $24.xx + tax
paid with $4/20, $1 off True north mfr Q and 15.36 in ECBs.---$4.10 onto CVS gift card.
got back $13.85 in ECBs and will get $6.99 back in a check from Organix and $3.49 from True North.  Also, there were a few other items in the shampoo aisle that had "Try Me Free" tags on them...  
Anyway, altogether paid $19.46 after coupons (includes ECB value and amt that went onto gift card) and got back $24.31 (ECBs and money I'll receive from rebates for free items)--well $23.43 if you factor in the cost of a stamp (are stamps $0.44 I have no idea anymore).

A note of caution--on some items, you need the original receipt....some will take a copy (like the True North rebate), so be careful about getting more than one item per receipt, read your rebate form first.  It's nice if they can print you a copy, but see post below for problems associated with that, depending on the cashier.  Also, do the rebates right away when you get home so you don't forget and loose out!

No comments: