Monday, February 2, 2009

Whole Foods. Yawn. And last minute Kroger run.

I had to run get some milk yesterday and decided to look around while I was there. I didn't see any deals that were particularly enticing. I ended up buying 2 cans of organic lentils, some organic grape tomatoes, a package of frozen fish bites (there is a coupon for 1.00/1 in the new Whole Deal) and a half gallon of milk.

Total spent: 12.14

Then I went to Kroger. We needed beverages for our Super Bowl shindig, plus my Seventh Generation coupons were expiring so I threw together a list and braved the heat wave.

The Kraft blinkie machine had been refilled since the last time I was there so I took full advantage of that. Also there was this really nice lady who didn't want to have to buy ten packages of cheese in order to get the lower price. After assuring her that it's fine to freeze cheese, running through a quick coupon lesson and shoving ten .75/1 coupons at her she was on board with spending just .24 a pack and oh-so-excited about it. I love being the bearer of good financial news in the dairy section.

My other funny story is that, for the second time ever in my life, I didn't get carded while buying beer. At first I was a little hurt, but then I realized that the kid checking me out was like 12 so I probably looked like a grandma to him.

(9) various Kraft cheese, rBGH-free @ .24 each after coupon and promo
(1) 12-pack Miller Lite bottles (not pictured) @ 9.49 plus deposit
(1) Detroit Free Press (not pictured) @ 1.75
(4) Pepperidge farm goldfish @ .99 after promo
(1) 12-pack of Sierra Mist @ 2.50 + deposit after promo
(2) Juicy Juice @ 1.49 each after coupon and promo
(1) Cottonelle- FREE after coupon (see link to the left)
(4) Wheat Thins @ .99 each after 2.00/2 coupons and promo
(4) 7th Gen paper towels- marked at 1.59 each, but rang up at .50! Used 1.00/1 coupons to make them all free plus $2 overage total!
(2) Light Life Deli slices @ 2.50 each, used 1.00/1 to get each for 1.50

Total spent: 37.58 (That beer really killed my total... but I'll get back 2.40 for the bottle deposits on that and the Sierra Mist)
Total saved: 62.61

PS: I forgot to tell you about the rebate form I found on a Gillette shampoo display at Kroger. Send in this form along with your receipt from purchasing any Gillette shampoo, conditioner or styling product and they'll send you a coupon for a free Gillette shampoo. If you did this deal at CVS last week this is a great way to get more shampoo to donate. (Or for your stockpile... however you choose to roll.) Keep your eyes open for this display; I'll probably try to grab a few more for those of you who I know got your Gillette last week. (Jess, Jill, Amy, maybe Becky and Bren?... am I missing anyone?)

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Nice price on the towels! I'm going to try to get to Kroger this week for more cheese. And I'll check out the Gillette promo as well! thanks.